Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Mistake #1

Well it happened, we all knew it would. As much as I like to think I'm perfect, and I double check my work, I made a mistake. The good news is nothing has been ordered yet, so the client doesn't technically have to order the draperies that I screw up the pricing on. But in the design world, an ethical designer will honor his or her price and have to eat the rest. In this case there's no eating, just not making enough on the markup.

I called my designer at 3pm yesterday to tell her the bad news, and left her a message giving her some of the details. She still hadn't called back after dinner so I called and left another message. During this time I was going through intervals of shaking, nausea, trying to tell myself that its all cool, that its no biggie. Then she kept not calling, so I am thinking she's mad at me, and I'm fired for sure, and my whole business will collapse. Surprisingly I was able to put it aside and get a good nights sleep, but there it was staring me in the face at 6:30 this morning. Again with the shaking, and tummy ache, and a great amount of dread. Believe it or not, I decided to workout to try to forget. Of course she called right at the end when I'm so out of breath I can't talk, but I answered anyway. She was super sweet, and said not to worry, and that shit happens. And she said she knows I probably lost sleep over it, but not to worry. I didn't lose sleep, but there definitely was suffering.

Another lesson learned, quadruple check EVERYTHING, especially that big stuff.

NLJ

4 comments:

Ed Mahony said...

I am starting up my own business too. I really think that checking everything is really important.
Also to think about every scenario (but to discpline yourself about this - if you do it all the time then you will just go mad ..).
Good luck with the business (but don't burn yourself out about it - your health and happiness are more important ..).

Brooke a.k.a. 34B cup said...

Urgh! I hate that feeling. Well, Sh*t does happen, and we learn and move on... Keep kickin' tail! Fun to hang with ya last night!

gina said...

you know someone in london?!

Anonymous said...

Oh Nick, I hate that feeling too. The good part of it though is the actual reason you felt that way - you care and are proud of your work. Many people in this world wouldn't have cared at all. I'm sure you won't make that mistake again. :-) Keep on keepin' on.