Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Trying To Be Super Mom

I made Halloween cookies for The Boy's school. I was just going to whip them up quick and then get on with the rest of my day. You see, since I'm a mom now, I pride myself on always having the ingredients on hand to make cookies at the drop of a hat. You just never know when a cookie emergency might arise. Well, seems I didn't have cream cheese for these fancy things. And then I didn't have Cream of Tartar (what is that, tartar sauce?) for the icing. So I was off to the grocery store. I also picked up black food coloring, but didn't find orange. Nor did I find black or orange sugar. What? Its Halloween! Stock up people!

Now its noon, and I fully read the recipe. I see that the dough needs to sit in the fridge for at least 3 hours before using. Fine. Then I make the icing and color one batch orange and one batch black. The orange is a pale, "sunset" color. Not the dark pumpkin color I wanted. Fine. And the black is to be mixed into chocolate frosting, not the beautiful white royal icing I made. So I ended up with dark grey. Fine.

Now its 4:30. I finally got the cookies baked (some darker than others,) and decorated (some better than others), and then proceeded to smear the decorations while packing them in the box. The point is, long story longer, it took ALL DAY and they still didn't turn out at perfectly as I wanted. The good new is, I made them for kids ranging in age of 3 months - 3 1/2 years. They're just going to shove them in their mouth, not care that some are burned, that the black cat's eyes have run together, and that I smeared the windows on the haunted house.

NLJ

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nicki, you spent the entire day being the best mom that Henry could ever have! I'm sure he was so proud when he went to school today, because you made this day GREAT for him.
I am so proud of you!
love you, lola

Anonymous said...

I saw them at Lini's and they looked GREAT! I was so jealous- I wanted one....Darlene told me she wouldn't tell you that I acted super surprised that you made them....color me impressed. Love, Molly

Fab Over 40 said...

Too funny! But I bet everyone ate them all - every crumb!

gina said...

exactly. they have frosting. and they were made with (mostly) love and just a little frustration.

a cookie is a cookie is a cookie. you're awesome. time to enter the cookie challenge on food network!

Brooke a.k.a. 34B cup said...

Dude, rock on already. I bet they were perfect. Besides if you got to back on a Tuesday AND they were perfect you would be simply hateable. Too bad I love ya too much.

GramaE said...

Hi dear, Reminds me of a Christmas that I made that gingerbread house. You know, the one that we put on the Christmas cards. Remember?? That took WAAYYY longer than I anticipated and by the end, I was absolutely exhausted. Plus, it wasn't as perfect as I had dreamed it would be! Ha!

Love, MOM