Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Can You Say Franchise?

I spent the half the day sending out letters to prospective clients. Designers that are mostly one man shows, who somehow or another I've heard they could maybe use my services. I sent out 14 letters, and one to an office with 3 or 4 designers who work there. You just have to throw stuff against the wall and hope it sticks.

Being a self employed person looking for work, I then headed out to International Market Square to a.) have lunch with a dear friend/potential client, and b.) walk around the mart to whore myself out to anyone who would listen. I stopped in the showrooms that I've known forever, and have developed relationships with in the past years. I went in explaining what my business is about and asked them to keep a few of my cards on hand to pass out in case they hear of anyone that needs help. Everyone was more than happy to do this and were more than encouraging.

Here's what I heard: "Its a dream come true." "Do you know how many jobs I've turned down because I didn't have time to do the paperwork?" "I'm usually up until midnight working on my invoicing." "This is such a great idea." "You are going to be so busy, you're going to need to hire help."

Now don't get me wrong. There will be no counting chickens before they're hatched. But, the whole experience was so positive and encouraging, not to mention exhausting. Its completely wiped me out. So, let's see if the phones start ringing tomorrow. Once the phone is ringing and the "you've got mail" ding on my computer is worn out, then, and only then, will I franchise out.

NLJ

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you currently accepting resumes? I don't ask for much-short work weeks, long lunch hours, benes, a 401K match and a fat check.

BVoss

gina said...

i'm so proud of you. you're such a grown-up now - holy #@($^@&! when did that happen? this is going to be a huge success, nicki, i'm so so so happy for you. and you are totally going to have to hire help. it's hysterical. you're going to have an out-of-home office before you know it. yay! i'm sending good vibes your way.

GramaE said...

Out of home office? Wow...think of the possibilities. Maybe then I can have the mother-in-law suite. Hee hee. Proud is the word. Mom