Thursday, February 21, 2008

I Got a JOB

Turns out she likes me. Yes! Let's all just take a collective, deep, cleansing breath. One job down, not sure how many more to go. The meeting actually went really well. Sounds like I can make her life easier, and she can make my life a little more fulfulled.

One of the many benefits of being your own boss, is that fact that I can wear what I want to wear. And we at Paperwork Design, do not wear dress pants. Those days of ugly, ill fitting, bad fabric dress pants are gone. So I went to Anne Taylor Loft the other day and bought a new, preppy outfit to wear to this interview. This is going to be the new signature look of PD. I bought a pair of very dark, stylish blue jeans. Yes jeans. This is what we wear at PD. Nothing worn looking, nothing with holes, but nice, bootcut, dark, denim jeans. With stretch. Along with a classic, button down, white oxford shirt, and a kelly green sweater. Topped off with leopard print heels and a spray of Coco Chanel perfume, and there you have it. Its preppy and very tailored looking. This gives off the idea that you're organized and smart, but also have a slight edge and not overly trendy. I knew it was right when I took off my coat and she said that she loved the green, and it was her favorite color.

I'm really excited about working with the designer I met today. She seems to be a smart, interesting, and classy woman. It sounds like she has enough money that she doesn't need to work, but she said she still does because she loves it and because she's good at it. She doesn't work a lot, maybe 1 or 2 clients at a time, only because she can. She made one thing very clear to me also. The one thing that is her highest priority, is her privacy. She's been in the biz for 25+ years, and hardly anyone knows who she is, and that's the way she wants it. She has no desire to get published or be on the front page any design magazine. She feels she owes that to her clients, who trust her enough to come into their homes. She feels it belittles them, and disrespects them to talk about this job with that budget. I was told that if I'm asked what she's working on or who her client is or anything about her business, I am to say that I don't know anything. I found this to be very cool and very interesting. Designers, by nature, love to talk and to talk about they're work and what they're doing and who they're working for. Especially if its a big name, local celeb. Well, I still don't know who this client is that I'll be working for, but they have a 20,000 square foot home. And in 11 years, I've never worked on a house of that scale. Whoa. She must be doing something right.

NLJ

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So when is Aaron retiring?

Brooke a.k.a. 34B cup said...

Wow! Love the new digs for the interview! Sassy and fresh! That is great news on the job front! Maybe you'll need to hire me sooner that you thought!

gina said...

she likes you, she really, really likes you!!! i'm so happy for you. omg. and you get to get a new wardrobe too! i love kelly green. duh. no more black every day! ooo, and the office is super cute. tell aaron to give you the BatChair already, sounds like you deserve it. :)

xoxog