Monday, February 18, 2008

Open For Business

Today I am starting my own business. Its called Paperwork Design LLC. You may think I design greeting cards or stationary. But I don't. I am an assisant for hire to interior designers. I've been doing this for 11 years, got a crazy hair up my behind, and decided to contract myself out instead of working for "the man." I hope to keep a record of my down falls in order to not make the same mistakes. I will also record my success, if any, just because I like to pat myself on the back now and then.

I want to tell everyone, that if they too decide to quit a perfectly good paying job, there are steps that need to be followed. You MUST, first and foremost, go to the state department and have your business name registered. Even if you "think" you know you're name is available and you "think" it'll be OK just to mail the forms in with no problems. DON'T. The name Paperwork seemed to be available, but wasn't. I already got my tax ID number with the name Paperwork before I "officially" owned this word. Turns out "Paperworks" was already taken, so I couldn't have "Paperwork." This leads to a lot more paperwork to fill out both state and federal to make the changes. It also leads to changing the email address and webpage you already bought with the wrong name. Oh, and it leads to changing your company name on the spot without having time to really think about it - thus Paperwork Design. And last but not least it leads to a major melt down directed at your spouse that is largely uncalled for.

NLJ

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is the OFFICIAL first congratulations and good luck on your new venture. I am so excited for you... you are so talented and willing to work hard...go girl.

Much love,
Mary (the auntie!)

kk said...

I know how you love comments...a new blog to check I am excited. Congrats you are going to do great but I still am gonna miss you!! Karen

gina said...

look at you go! you are going to be one busy lizzie. i mean nicki. anyway. good luck with the new venture, i know you're going to do great.

love to you!
gina

Anonymous said...

Rock on sister! You are gonna kick tail (other than Aarons)!

XOXO,

brooke

Anonymous said...

We are so excited for you Nicki! As the word gets out you'll be crazy busy and need an assistant! Congratulations - all of your hard work and talents will make you successful!

Hugs,
Shally & Boys